Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Path To School


This is a sidewalk that leads out of our cul-de-sac and through that wooden gate. This is the path that Kylie and her little buddies use to walk to school every morning. Well, almost every morning. I've driven her around to the front of the school a couple of times, when it was snowing and very cold.

This is the first time I've ever not had to drive a child to school. When the older two were in elementary school, they went to a charter school. So there were no buses. It was nice, because back then we moved around the city a lot, it seems. Even though we moved, they never had to change schools. It just changed the distance I had to drive them.

Through that gate and to the right, is the elementary school where they have K-3. The 4th, 5th and 6th graders go to a different school, about a mile away. I love having the school so close to us.

I love this picture. I love the contrast of the white snow against the bright blue sky. When I look at this picture, with no one on the path, the solitude of it reminds me of The Road Not Taken. Even though this "road" is very well traveled by the neighborhood kids and their moms. Even though it's not a picture of two roads diverging. At the moment, in the quiet morning, it does seem to be "the one less traveled by."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a very peaceful picture - one thing I like about the winter is the feeling of calm it can bring sometimes, like the world seems to stop for a little while.