Saturday, March 14, 2009

Baaaa...Baaaaaa....

In like a lion, and out like a lamb? I don't know, but there's a whole lot of bleating going on here, and not a single roar. Maybe that expression doesn't include Arizona.

Since the girls and I are leaving to drive to Colorado on Monday, I thought maybe I'd better start thinking about preparing to begin ... doing something. Oooo, I know...I'll check the 10 day weather forecast to see what kind of clothes we need to bring. I just got Kylie a ski-type jacket at the thrift store. I hope the kids are going to be warm enough. We don't really have any cold-weather clothes.


We're actually going to be in the Denver area on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. We're going to take two days for the drive each way, because if I tried to do it in one day, I might lose what's left of my mind, which is not much. We're going to go through Four Corners on the way up, so we can take that really cool picture of when you're in all four states at once. Seriously, that's all there is to do there. Well, that and buy some handmade Navajo jewelery and eat some yummy fry bread. So that should take about 20 minutes.

On the way home, we'll be going through the Grand Canyon. Well, not literally through the Grand Canyon, but we'll stop there. Kylie's never seen it, and the last time we were there Shannon was about five, and she says she doesn't remember. Shannon has a cool camera she got for her birthday in January, so she's looking forward to getting some nice pictures.

So back to the weather. I was hoping for good weather on the driving days, because if there's snow or anything, I'm kind of screwed. I've driven in snow maybe twice in my life, and both those times there was someone sitting next to me, telling me what to do. Which were two of the very few times that I didn't mind that. So, good weather for the drive, but while we're there, a little snow maybe? That would be really cool.

According to weather.com, this is the forecast for the coming week in the Denver area:


Mon, Mar 16
Mostly Sunny



High 68°
Low 41°
Precip - 0%


Tue, Mar 17
Sunny



High 66°
Low 40°
Precip - 0%

Ok, that's good for me for the drive. Now, let's bring on the snow!!


Wed, Mar 18
Mostly Sunny





High 59°
Low 36°
Precip - 0%


Thu, Mar 19
Partly Cloudy




High 60°
Low 38°
Precip - 10%


Fri, Mar 20
Partly Cloudy


High 61°
Low 38°
Precip - 10%

WTF, Denver? What am I supposed to do, pack shorts and t shirts? Does the warm weather like to follow me, just to torture me? Every other day, I talk to Steve, it's snowing, then it's 55, then it's 20, then it's snowing, then it's 60, then it's 34 and windy. Denver is famous for its unpredictable and ever-changing weather. So of course, what I'm going to get is 5 straight boring days of 60 degrees and sun. Denver, you are not starting off on the right foot with me.

I guess the bright side is that as soon as we blow town here, it's going to be near 90. Thankfully, we'll miss that. I'm still going to hope for a "surprise" snowstorm while we're in Colorado, though.

Four days of driving with three girls and me. Please pray for me.



2 comments:

Megan said...

While you're there, check out the Red Rock Park. It's gorgeous!! We wanted to hike there when we were there but the altitude made us huff and puff just walking to the gift shop. (i guess you'll have time to visit it while you live there though :D ) The kids might like Casa Bonita there too. It's a mexican restaurant that has a bunch of theme rooms, an arcade, cliff divers, a pirate show and a bunch of other stuff. I remember it from my childhood visits to Denver :)

Anonymous said...

I've got a story to further reinforce your thoughts that Denver has crazy weather. My best friend and I drove cross-country in 2001, and the morning we were driving to Denver we woke up in Kansas and it was 70 degrees. Coming from Vermont, this was amazing...shorts and tank tops here we come! As we drove in to Denver the sky began to turn yellow and tumble weeds were rolling everywhere. We were watching the temperature display and within about 20 minutes it dropped 30 degrees, and by the time we went to sleep that night there was an inch of snow on the ground and the temperature was 32.