Thursday, March 18, 2010

Walk For MS

Several years ago, my husband was diagnosed with RRMS (Relapsing/Remitting Multiple Sclerosis). Approximately 80% of people with MS have this type, which means that their symptoms come and go. When people with RRMS have a relapse, or an episode, or whatever they choose to call it, they can experience severe headaches, severe body nerve pain, numbness in their limbs, debilitating exhaustion, and a host of other symptoms. It's different for everyone.

Because he doesn't have symptoms all the time, we can be in denial a lot. When he's not in a relapse period, we kind of pretend it doesn't exist.

After several years, we've decided to do something proactive and join Denver's Walk for MS on May 1st. Hubby really wants to do the three mile walk, even though standing or walking for long periods of time can be painful for him. I thought he'd just sign us up for the 1 mile walk, but he really wants to do the three miles. I'm proud that he's finally recognizing and accepting the disease, and trying to do something about it.

I've set a personal goal to raise $250. I started yesterday, and I already have $70. That means I just need 18 people to make a $10 donation to reach my goal. I know things are tough right now, and if you can't donate, that's fine too! Words of encouragment are just as good. However, if you can spare the $10 to donate to MS research, I'd appreciate the support. The link below should take you to my donation page.

Thanks for reading!

Click here to donate!

2 comments:

Fannie said...

I feel for you; The Saint got a devastating diagnosis several years ago – which we continue to ignore. I made a donation but I don’t think it was your page – hope you get credit!!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

My card is downstairs, but I will do this tomorrow.

It is hard to accept these things sometimes--I hope he stays in remission as much as possible.