Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Full Circle

How did you choose your childrens' names? Girls' names were always difficult for me, because there aren't that many that I like. If Danni had been a boy, her name would have been Ryan. Ryan Shawn.

I finally settled on Danielle for a girl, because I thought "Dani" was a cute nickname. I was also considering Veronica (Ronni) or something where we could call her Robbi. I just thought that a little boy's name made an adorable nickname for a little girl. And, I also thought that Dani Ourlastname sounded like an athlete's name, and that one day I'd hear it at a game, or competition, or something.

Monday, was a seriously weird experience. Because normally they don't have anyone announcing the varsity softball games. But for some reason, on Monday, they did. There was a guy running the scoreboard (also a rarity) and announcing the lineups over the loudspeaker. He was also announcing each player's name as they came to bat.

I have to tell you, I got serious goosebumps, and a flashback to the day I named her, when suddenly over the loudspeaker I hear:

"Now batting for the Wolves, the first baseman, Dannnnniiiiiiiiiii Ouuurrrrlaaassttttnammmmee!"

Because that's what I had imagined, 17 years ago. It was the strangest feeling ever.

3 comments:

Dawn in D.C. said...

Awwww. You made me tear up. I felt just like that each time as their names were called to cross the stage to get their diplomas. I remembered the day they were born and how their names came to be. Thank you for making me smile.

Mary~Momathon said...

That is so cool!

Dawn in D.C. said...

Hi! Me, again.
I was thinking of your post last night as I was organizing some pictures and stuff on my new laptop. Anyway, I tend to let my mind wander over the things I've read, and I was thinking of your post. Then I came across a picture of our son on his wedding day. If you wondered about the sound of your child's name on someone else's lips for the world to hear? Wait until you hear the name of your child come from a man of God, asking if he'll take this woman to be his wife. It makes me cry every time I think about it.

I hope you don't mind if I borrow your subject matter sometime? It's really good.