Tuesday, April 8, 2008

My Baby Is No Longer A Baby

My baby turned 16 today. Here's a picture of her when she actually was a baby:



I think she was about three weeks old here. I still can't believe it's her, born with all that dark hair. It didn't last long...that baby hair fell out, and she was a blond toddler. Please forgive the picture quality...back in 1992, we didn't have all this new-fangled digital technology. In fact, I don't have a scanner, so I took a picture of a picture with my digital camera. Look at me...24 years old, and scared to death. I look like I'm thinking, "Ok, what the hell do I do now?" And I pretty much was.

Fast forward 16 years, and we have this:



And I do mean fast. Unbelieveably fast.

I'm not freaked out about the driving thing anymore. She does pretty well, and because we waited until Christmas break to get her permit, she's not eligible to get her license until May 21st. Which is fine...it gives us a little longer to figure out how we're going to find something for her to drive. Because really...what's the point of a third driver if there's no third car? How is that helpful to me? And we all know, this is all about me. :)

I know I should be happy, and I am...for her. It's such an exciting time, to be 16, a little newfound freedom. Suddenly, today, the city curfew of 10pm for those under 16 no longer applies to her. As soon as softball is over, she wants to get a job. At 16, a lot more possibilites have opened up for that. She won't have to settle for scooping ice cream at a Mom and Pop shop, like she did last summer.

While I'm happy for her, I'm also sad. I didn't think it would hit me this hard. That she's almost grown up. She's such a good kid. Involved at school...dance, softball, flagline, friends. We had our rough moments when she was 13/14, but she's morphed into this young woman that I really like. She's witty, smart, sarcastic, impatient, independent, strong and outspoken. We've made it to 16 with no major problems. I am so lucky to have her as my daughter. I love this kid so much, and I am so very proud of her.

Happy Birthday, baby.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Danni! I can't believe it either Shel...where did those years go, because we didn't age a bit.

This is such a sweet post. I know how much you love your girls and I get how much it hurts to see them growing up so fast.

You are right, Dani is a great kid!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Danni!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww. She's beautiful, it seems, in every way. Good genes!

Dave said...

(Found you through Greta's and Kiki's DTBMULF) I have one 13-year-old-going-on-25 daughter who's probably going to look very similar to Dani very soon ... far too soon for me with all the guys that hang around the house! Fortunately, I think those guys are afraid Briahna might take 'em down if they were to try something ... ;-)

Happy b'day Dani!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Aw - I'm sure it will be TOMORROW and my kids will be 16! (My oldest is 3.) Happy Birthday to what sounds like a great kid!

Fannie said...

I'm getting a little teary over here. Wish her a happy birthday for me!

onthegomom said...

Happy Birthday Danni! She is gorgeous!!! I know exactly how you feel, my oldest turned 18 this year and he graduates next month, it is heart-wrenching!!!!!!!!!

Jonah K. Haslap said...

Wow, is this what a well-adjusted parent feels like when their kid turns 16? I wish you could have given my mother some lessons. I spent my 16th birthday trying to convince her that, no, I will not fit back in the womb. Come to think of it, I've spent every birthday saying that.