Thursday, November 4, 2010

Beyond Frustrated

I can't find a job, people.

I've applied. Oh, I've applied.

I worked for a medical software company for five years, before they decided to close the office. I have extensive computer experience. I have excellent written and verbal communication skills. I have customer service experience. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology. I am one hell of an employee. I am smart, responsible, punctual, and work well with others.

What the hell, Internet?

I had one interview with an accounting firm who does city management for small cities that are too small to have their own city management. It was for a job in the utilities billing department.

I got an interview on that one. It went well. Then I got a second interview. I thought that also went well.

When the staffing agency that sent me on that interview informed me that I did not get the job, she said all the client would say is that, "It just wasn't the right fit." Not that I wasn't qualified, or they didn't think I could do that job, just 'it wasn't the right fit."

What the &*^% does that mean? I'm too fat? They didn't like the amount of gray in my hair? (Which honestly, isn't that much) Didn't like my shirt? ( I love my interview outfit shirt.) I was wearing black pants, black flats and a lovely red/silver/black top. What? What is it? Do these people know how much they'd love me if they'd give me a chance? I am amazing to work with. Former co-workers LOVE me.

I had another interview with the county administrator's office for an admin position. I was interviewed by a panel of three people. Then I was given computer testing. I thought the interview part went great. I did outstanding on the computer testing. The lady who gave me the computer testing (who was part of the panel of three) said she loved my personality and she hoped I got the job.

But I didn't.

My ego is bruised, Internet. This is the first time in my life I have ever had face-to-face interviews, and not gotten the job. Seriously, this has never happened to me before.

I need a job. My UI benefits aren't going to last forever. In fact, not a whole lot longer.

I've hit a wall. I want to go back to bed. I'm sick of this. Wait...maybe I won the Powerball last night...let me just check real quick....

Nope, didn't win. Neither did anyone else, but that doesn't really help me.

Seriously, it's getting hard to do anything. Like, doing a load of laundry is a monumental effort. Speaking of which... I need to go move clothes. Have I also mentioned I need a job?

Any advice, anyone? Anyone in the Denver area need a great employee? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

5 comments:

Fannie said...

This is really tough. Not that this helps much but when I started job hunting after sixteen years of staying home it was demoralizing. So many jobs that were THIS CLOSE but went to someone else. Hang in there and the right thing is sure to come along. Good thoughts headed your way!

Stacey said...

It means that someone was willing to take less pay than you! I know exactly how you feel! I have applied for a million jobs, and I have been on ONE interview!! I was told last night that if I really wanted a job I would have one!! Really!!!

Dawn in D.C. said...

I'm busy saying prayers for you, your Steve, and my Steve, too. This is just a sucky time right now. I'm too scared to even start looking.

Dawn's Dad said...

This economy really sucks and I feel your pain. I was out of work 15 months before finding something and that was 5 years ago. I never had a single interview with anything from the internet. It was finally on the recommendation of a former coworker.

They say personal networking is what really works so keep up with everyone you ever knew in the workforce.

Hang in there and try to stay positive. There are a lot of us out here pulling for you.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

This is so discouraging.

I so get you on needing a job--and the fact that in this economy being a great worker just doesn't seem to cut it.

I wish you luck in this search.